Sunday, September 21, 2014

News from National Executive September 2014

From Lisa Salter-

After four years of representing Te Tai Tokerau, I recently attended my last SLANZA National Executive (NE) meeting.  I have mixed feelings.  My life changed course last year when I joined the public library sector and while I still have school libraries in my heart, my head needs to be focused on learning in a new environment.  

Julia Smith from Kerikeri High School has accepted the opportunity to represent the region on NE. She is more than capable of taking this responsibility on. This can be ratified at the AGM in Term 1 next year when the region will also be looking for a new chair and secretary.  Please consider these positions as they are not onerous and the connections, collaboration and experience are well worth the pride in organising a valuable event for members.

I am grateful that my family have been supportive of my volunteer work and managed well when I was working or traveling for NE.  I learned a lot during my tenure and have made many professional and enjoyable connections with other librarians. The professional development offered has helped me in my career and given me confidence and a big picture understanding of what school libraries and libraries in general can offer. 

I have a sense of relief but will miss my co-workers on NE.  We have had many laughs and many achievements to be proud of.  My next challenge is representing the region on The Association of Public Library Managers board and I have joined the Digital Literacy Working Party.  I am confident that I will be able to contribute to these groups with the experience I have gained on NE.

Thanks for the memories, the support and the opportunities. If someone suggests you attend a meeting or join a committee do consider it.  SLANZA will only thrive if members value and contribute to the organisation at the local and national level.  All the best for the future, I'll be cheering you on.  

Lisa Salter

Outgoing Te Tai Tokerau NE Rep, Communications Leader and Collected Editor

For news from the recent NE meeting see our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment