Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Angela's first ever blog post

I was lucky enough to be granted a registration award by the SLANZA Northland Committee of which I am truly grateful. I am happy to say I gleaned good information from all of the sessions I attended, and will be able to put it to good use over the coming months. Thank you very much SLANZA Northland.

I thought I would write my post on the Key Note speakers.

Opening address by John Carr, writer, cartoonist, performance poet and stand-up comedian. Well! what a way to start ! His presentation call "Cold ducks, Old ducks and the never-ending wave"had me in fits of laughter. He rapped and rapped, about Mango's Medi-tags and Colostomy bags. What a great way to start such a full on three and a half days.
This should bring up the Mango Rap if you wish to reminisce.

Judy O'Connell, "Do you have the keys to tomorrow?" Well true to her title, e-learning lecturer in Library and Information Management in the Faculty of Education, Charles Sturt University, Judy is a mine of new information. I joined the Tweet community and follow her, well, every now and then,tweeting still hasn't become part of my daily routine, the sites she introduces to us are very "now". I have checked a few out and found them very useful.

Joyce Valenza, "The Wizard of Apps (seriously remixed)". I really enjoyed Joyce's enthusiasm, I would love to be able to visit her library, one day. I absolutely agree with her this is the best time to be a teacher-librarian. (My case just librarian). Keeping up with all the new opportunities that are presented today is an ongoing challenge, sifting through what is available and choosing what would be relevant for my little library.

Paul Little, "Future Imperfect". I could hardly hear what Paul was saying, unfortunately. He was speaking on the changing language of today.

Carol Hirshfeld, "Feel the Fear". A woman of my own heart! I really enjoyed hearing about her life and how that gave her the strength to be what she is today. A very successful lady who is currently the General Manager of Production for Maori Television.

Fleur Beale, "The Usefulness of Boundaries". Fleur is a teen writer, whose stories are made up from people and activities of her everyday life. Fleur is a very inspirational speaker, well received by everyone.

Please feel free to add to what I have written about these speakers.
Cheers, Angela

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Angela for your first ever blog. Some interesting comments. Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete